Tuesday, February 23, 2010

The journey picture continues to unfold ...

I spent over an hour last night talking on the phone with Judy Hoffman, the founder of the Art Creation Foundation for Children in Jacmel. How we got introduced to each other is yet another synergistic puzzle piece to this story. My oldest son works for Dharma Trading in San Rafael, California - a large textile craft supplier in business for 40 years. Judy ended up on the phone with my son; mentioned they were discussing an order for her "kids in Haiti" ... and you can guess what happened after that.

The ACCFC website is full of information on the organization; its history, staff and supporters and of course the children. I again urge you to check it out.

It turns out that Judy - who lives in Florida - will be in Jacmel the same week of my visit.

Reg has kindly said we should be able to fly to Jacmel (a 15 minute flight in his Cessna 172) so that we can meet Judy and her kids. There is some hopeful expectation that at least a few of the children might get a chance to see an airplane up close for the very first time, and I've been kindly invited to spend a night there if possible. We shall see how schedules and timing and situations develop. Being able to go to Jacmel to meet Judy at all, seems fated ... and an important part of this journey.

She told me stories about the heart and dignity of the Haitian people she has come to know over the years, their spirit still strong in spite of the horrendeous present situation. In fairness - from what I've read and heard - she spoke to a heart and dignity maintained for a long, long time now against seemingly unending adversity and hardship. She spoke poignantly of the hope for a better future held in the children. It will be a privilege to meet her, and them.

Reg and Judy both have now made reference to the fact that once I meet the Haitian people and experience the country, I will never be quite the same again....

No comments:

Post a Comment