Sunday, February 21, 2010

Leap of Faith Confirmed and Booked

I finally spoke with Reg again this afternoon. I think he's as crazy as I am. But then I'd have to follow that statement up with one saying I guess I'm in excellent company, and wouldn't want him - or myself - to be any other way. I haven't met him in person and I know little (yet) about his own personal story - but just from two 40 minute phone conversations, I already admire the heck out of the man.

I promised Reg in return for his kindness, generosity and support, I will come to his country with an open mind and heart and do my best to tell its truth when I come home via my tappy fingers. Haiti and its people sadly haven't always had the truth told about them - or about what has been done to them.

I go to Haiti with full respect and empathy for the situation and for the tragic circumstances I'll be walking into. But I also begin this adventure with my sense of humor and optimism intact. I plan to keep that going for me - best medicine ever in my opinion.

I may sometimes merely post random bits and pieces here depending on time. But I will aspire to keep a journal of how this all progresses, however that may end up presenting itself. And I promise to be nothing less than honest, even if that might get weird and a little messy at times.

Flights are booked, and I leave for Miami Wednesday March 3 and return on Thursday March 11.

Reg said there will be a washer and dryer (pack light) and bottled water available. Under the circumstances and considering what others are dealing with right now - all I've read about conditions? That sounds heavenly and I'm already grateful for little things (I don't doubt that although I write that now with an underlying levity, it's going to take on a completely different meaning for me a week and a half from now.)

When there's time, please check out: Art Creation Foundation for Children  This foundation located in Jacmel, Haiti, along with its founder Judy Hoffman, are also evidently meant to play an important part in this unfolding story. They were my latest "angel sign" as Paul Farmer says. I promise to tell more about them later........

No comments:

Post a Comment