Saturday, March 20, 2010

Ignorance wasn't bliss ...

The condensed version of how I got to Haiti equals this: writer specializing in aviation (me) meets through a Cessna Pilot Society forum board - a pilot from Haiti (Reg) who comes across as a good guy character with a sense of humor and some stories. Tragic earthquake hits Haiti. Writer had just finshed "Three Cups of Tea" the story of Greg Mortenson and his building of schools in Afghanistan, a marvelous inspiring book written in conjunction with Greg by David Oliver Relin. After finding out that Reg and his family are OK, writer wonders how she could possibly help. Idea comes to her (literally) while tossing hay to her horses one a.m. that maybe she could write about Reg and tell his story (what little known even at that point seemed worthy of writing about); help raise awareness. Writer writes Reg and offers. He comes back a few days later as things begin to calm down for him in his country and situation and says basically, thank you but ... before saying yes, you need to know what you're getting into. Here, read.

And so basically - it all began.

What did I know about Haiti before all of this? Woefully little. Seriously, sadly now in retrospect - woefully little. I knew where it was geographically and I had vague mental visions of dictators, tonton- something's that were like horrible policemen, very poor people, hunger, tragic attempted escapes by boat ... every connotation or thought was admittedly sad and depressing. I was stupidly ignorant now in retrospect as what I just wrote reflects. "Tonton something's." Sigh. I apologize for the complete lack of understanding I had of such a devastating history that had me type that to describe my ignorance.

I'll admit my naive ignorance played into my thinking there was a story in Reg at the beginning. Amongst what I visualized as a country fairly negative to begin with and now further depressed by this horrendeous earthquake, here was this positive thinking, successful man who flies ... in Haiti. Story right? Well yes, definitely. Only not the one I thought.

Nothing - was what I thought.

Here's where I have no choice but to bring some of the political history of Haiti to this discussion - to this journey. You cannot understand the situation Haiti is in now, if you do not have respect and understanding for the situations Haiti and her people have been in ... in their past. I had to make a conscious decision to have an open mind and "follow the yellow brick road" that Reg sent me down to educate myself. Were his choices of what I should read to gain foundational knowledge of Haiti's past so I could understand her present influenced by his life and experiences? Of course. Were they the same choices someone with a different perspective would have offered me. Of course not.

What is truth? What is the "right" perspective? We all have to decide that for ourselves. What I have read, what I have experienced, what I am going to share ... is my truth now. It is an educated one; one I will continue to build on because I indeed have not just one, but many stories I want to tell after this trip. And because I realize the depth of my ignorance now, and how much there is still for me to learn and understand.

You will have to find your own perspective and truth if you care to. I can only speak and tell these stories from my own now. Borrow from mine if you are so inclined, as you find your own. Mine are grounded in my continuing in-depth research, my experiences in Haiti itself and with its people. It has a foundation of caring and compassion and is shaped by a growing understanding of underlying causes - all wrapped in a respect for the rights of every human being.



More tomorrow ....

No comments:

Post a Comment