Thursday, March 18, 2010

Sharing the Experience - Part 2 - 1st Impressions, and Project Medishare

There were many supposed facts about Haiti in my head when I landed there. One of the first ones to be proven wrong after landing was that Haiti is hot - and - excessively humid. I walked out of the plane, started taking my first steps down the ladder, and admit I was thinking, "hmmmm....where's the oppressive humidity? It's worse in Hawaii, or even my hometown of Redding when we have an occasional odd hot/humid spell - than it is here right now. And this is DEFINITELY nothing like the humidity of the Philippines I have forever embedded in my memory banks." That thought was of course immediately superseded by stepping onto the tarmac and realizing I was actually in Haiti - as Reg and I made our first in-person contact. But we'll come back and re-visit the thought about humidity later; it has a purpose.

I knew Reg Auguste almost instinctively. The only picture I'd ever seen of him had been a photograph on the Aviation for Humanity website of the back of his head. But if you've seen my Picasa Photo Album, you'll see I spotted him from inside the plane - and we both knew each other on sight the minute I hit the ground from the stairway. A traditional Haitian/French "kiss on the cheek" greeting; an acknowledgement of the "I'm finally here, isn't that something?!" aspect of it all ... and then it was right into the procedures necessary to get through customs, and begin my educational journey in earnest.



There was a fairly organized procedure in place to process all the medical relief workers coming through obviously on a regular basis. We got the necessary form and filled it out ... quick processing and Reg with his Airport Security Badge (due to having GA aircraft on-site at the airport) soon had us leaving the customs area and heading for the Medishare hospital adjacent to the airport and the GA (general aviation) area so that I could see first-hand where all the people I'd been on the plane with, were going. Reg and his partner, had also played no small part in those first crucial days, in getting the hospital up and running.


Want heroes? Here you are: Project Medishare



I came to Haiti a week shy of two months since the earthquake hit on January 12th. The demanding horror and immediacy of those first few days and weeks has subsided of course - the results of it have most definitely not: the ongoing crucial follow-up care; the injuries of people who weren't able to seek immediate help - are still very much a daily reality desperately needing to be dealt with.

I know there are many brave and generous medical personnel in Haiti doing that. But the Project Medishare people are the ones I was privileged to see in action.

As I mentioned previously, many on my Vision Air flight into Port au Prince were already in scrubs; they hit the ground ready to work. They entered a world of tents - both where they would work, and where they would sleep and eat. I walked into the first medical tent, and instantly felt the reality of all this - it is palpable, the energy of both the suffering of the victims, as well as the hope offered by the existence of the tent and the people staffing it. It is fairly calm inside - two months later. I can fully fathom standing inside however, how horrendeous it had to have been in those first few weeks.

Here is an excellent article from the Miami Herald that will give you an idea of what it is like, if you would like a glimpse into what these heroes do. Is it tough to read? Yes. But then imagine what it is like to live it: Medical workers cope with Haiti quake relief's emotional toll

If you are wondering what organizations you can personally and directly contribute to that will put your donation toward immediate assistance to the victims of this earthquake, please consider donating directly to Project Medishare ~ as well as Partners In Health ~ Art Creation Foundation for Children or Aviation for Humanity. I can assure you that all 4 of these organizations will see to it that your donations go where they are intended - to assisting the children and adult victims of this tragedy.

I have to say I have been appalled to find in my research, the mis-direction of relief funds that has come to my attention, as well as the realization that many large organizations that one would think would be ensuring the most money went to the most direct means of help and support - especially for children - are in fact NOT doing that. I won't name, names. But please do your own research before donating. Or please - just take my word? And consider the above organizations.

No comments:

Post a Comment