Monday, March 08, 2010

So much to tell ~ too little time

I wanted to post something - albeit brief. From the time I arrived I have been plunged into the entire experience that is Haiti ... from the earthquake related aspects, to glimpses of what it was like before. I have been deeply touched by the spirit and nature of the Haitian people themselves as well as by the world community that has gathered here to help them.

My flight here was filled with Project Medishare Doctors and Nurses going in to do a week long stay at the hospital located on the airport grounds. A hospital that Reg Auguste and his partner Franz were integral to getting established right after the quake. When I have the time, I will post pictures - sadly, none now. When I first arrived, I toured the hospital, then it was off to drive through Port au Prince .

The pancaked buildings, the horrendous damage is of course everywhere and even more heart-wrenching in person than it is on the news as you can imagine. I am fortunate in that the bodies are no longer in the streets. There are piles of rubble everywhere. Everywhere buildings are by hand being sledge hammered down. I woke to the sound of that this morning - the rhythmic, repetitive constant. Reg's neighborhood is a mix; I sleep in a safe environment - my own room with full bathroom - the home itself beautiful and self-sufficient with its own power and water. Reg's wife Marie Elaine has beautiful gardens - including an indoor one; and atrium off the living room where when it rains? It actually rains in that portion of the house. Stunning.  It is a dream home built with care and appreciation after years of planning - only large enough to be comfortable and gracious and beautiful; there is loving energy here - no ostentation.

Last night I saw Reg's soap factory located in Cite Soleil. Then walked with him and Marcelle, a community leader from the neighborhood, to the school that Reg, Franz and others helped build. We walked through a tent city; the people smiling and gracious - again - not a moment of feeling threatened. They smiled at me ... I looked at the conditions they were living in and my heart broke a little; and I thought too of what this would be like when the rains came. And then we came to the school - this shining piece of hope amongst all the sad. Reg says they were up to 196 kids when the quake hit. Now there's 120 ... and when it has rained these past weeks?

The school stands strong and secure and Marcelle says 200 people come inside to sleep.

More when I can.

No comments:

Post a Comment