Friday, March 19, 2010

Sharing the Experience - A Different Approach

I just erased what I had starting writing, which was a Part 3 sequential written narrative continuing to share the experience like a travel log as I have to this point. So far was fine I think and hopefully I've gained your interest somewhat so you'll keep coming back. It's hoped also you will take to heart my recommendations about worthy organizations to support that can and will definitely help in this time of such great need for Haiti's people (please see links to the right - I refer to "Project Medishare", "Aviaton for Humanity", "Art Creation Foundation for Children", and "Partner's In Health.")

But I've realized a travel log is not what I need to do here, with the understanding I now have.

Why did I go to Haiti? Bottom line answer to that is because I felt an overwhelming sense I was supposed to. I went with the intent of gathering stories, perspective and insight and coming back and finding a way to take those things, raise awareness, and somehow through my writing perhaps help make a difference.

Now that I'm back, I know I was indeed supposed to go. Yes, I gathered personal stories; more than I could possibly have dreamed of. And I will use them in their right time, in the right way, to hopefully raise awareness and make a difference. Just as I was guided to go to Haiti in the first place, I know I will be equally guided to know how to write and share them most effectively to make a difference.

For those of you wondering what I mean by being guided? Interpret that to mean whatever you want - intuition, God, Spirit, undefined mystic energies, the voices in my head - it refers to something as personal for me, as I'm sure it is for you. Know I respect your personal meaning whatever that may be, and trust you will accept the explanation as offered and respect mine as well without further definition.

That leading to - please, do not let politics or religion polarize information and perspective I want to offer here. This is too important. If you have to filter it, do so through the lens of a fellow human being with compassion and a desire to understand.

Unfortunately, the reality of all that is happening now in Haiti - the tragedy that continues to unfold in the aftermath of this earthquake - cannot be understood without touching on the politics and the history of this country, much as our own issues here in the United States must be framed that way. How did we get to our present contentious debate over healthcare reform? The problems caused by the financial crisis? Politics and history are intimately woven together. Add to those a personal interpretation of facts; personal perspectives and priorities, and welcome to a complicated, convoluted and often contentious world ... welcome to the source throughout time of much disharmony and suffering. There is simply no way to avoid it. It is life.

So what are you getting at Susan?

I'm laying the foundation to express here some of my own personal truth and understanding about Haiti, now informed by my actually having been there. My thoughts about her people, her history, her politics and her present situation are completely different than they were when I first contacted Reg Auguste and asked to come to his country and hear his story. I want to share these things now with the intent of not causing further division and polarization of opinion - but to the contrary - I want to envoke empathy and understanding.

Most of all? I hope to somehow, someway ... make you care.

I understand now that Haiti is a poster child for all that is positive and powerful and wonderful in human nature and spirit, as well as - sadly - all that is negative and debilitating and horrible. As the title of this Blog implies, sharing my own personal journey to coming to that conclusion, is what I think I should do for now. Facts and a travel log narrative alone aren't going to hold your attention, and ranting about injustices will just encourage you to make judgements based on the wrong things.

No - let me tell you how and why my journey to Haiti - being there, meeting the people I did, seeing the things I did, educating myself the way I have - has changed me and my attitude about all I thought I knew.

And maybe if I do it the right way ~ it will change you and yours too................

I'll start tomorrow with some personal background; how my path came to cross in the first place with that of Reg Auguste and Haiti.

No comments:

Post a Comment